Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dyeing Fabric with Bougainvillea Plant Blooms - Photo Tutorial

I have wanted to make a pale pink puppy from my "Tototoo" pattern (available in my etsy shop) and I didn't have any pink dye in my "stash".  So, I decided to try dyeing using some blooms from our Bougainvillea Plant.   Starting with about 4 full cups of blooms and going from there, I ended up with a beautiful dye color. The fabric is soaking in the sun now and I will post pictures of the puppy I make from it later next week! The following pictures tell how I dyed the fabric.   If you try this yourself, I would love to see your final outcome! Have a lovely day!
Hugs & Blessings, Janice





10 comments:

  1. Wow... looks very interesting Janice :)
    Your Pomegranates look so nice... so many fruits :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Esther. It was fun to dye with the blooms and am really looking forward to trying with the Pomegranates, too! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I had no idea Janice. How interesting and exciting. I may give this a try to dye mohair for wig making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see the wig you create with the blooms if you decide to try this, Joanne! Hugs, Janice

      Delete
  3. I have only tried to dye with avocado skins yet. The fabrics and laces turned into a soft grayish kind of pink. We don't have bougainvilleas but pomgranate trees. I'll try that when they are ripe. Thank you for the tip!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! I am going to try avocado skins, too, now! Thank you for the tip! Hugs, Janice

      Delete
  4. hi Janice,
    Your bears are so wonderful!! I love that you are using your plants as dye color - and I'm SO impressed that you can spell that! I don't think I would've attempted that. =0)
    Thank you so much for stopping by my place.
    Now to go find you on Pinterest.
    hugs,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Holly! I appreciate you taking the time to comment and I hope you enjoyed visiting me on Pinterest, too! Hugs, Janice

      Delete
  5. Well I'll be interested to see the color you came out with. It's nice to know there's something you can do with those plants other than getting poked and bruised by their thorns.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Meri! The color I came up with was very pastel, not bright at all like the petals. I really like it! Hugs, Janice

      Delete

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to comment. xxxx