Thursday, January 15, 2015

First Project of the New Year! Altered Decanter Painted with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint

Oh my, what a beginning this has been!  My very first bear this year ended up in the garbage :o(  Hopefully, bear number 2 will come together.  Seems I get increasingly picky as time goes on ... if the little one does not do what I want, out it goes!   I decided to change gears when the little bear refused to cooperate and make an altered decanter instead.  I purchased the decanter at the Goodwill and painted with Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint.  It is the first time I have used Milk Paint and I love the way it turned out.  I know the look is different when you use it on wood but I have been enjoying painting glass, so I thought I would give it a go.  There is one drawback with the Milk Paint...it comes in a powder and you have to mix it yourself ... on the upside, you are able to regulate the consistency depending on your likes.  If you want more of a whitewashed look, just add more water.  They also sell a powder mix to add to the Milk Paint if you are using it on glass.  I did not buy the mix as I wanted more of a whitewashed, shabby chic look on the decanter.  After the Milk Paint was dry,   I used my fingers to blush the raised areas on the bottom of the decanter and the stopper.  I used Jacquard Pink/Gold Pearl Pigment.  You can barely see a hint of pink but if you look close, you'll notice a hint of pink on the raised areas.  The most fun comes with the addition of vintage and antique millinery flowers, leaves, lace, ribbons and finally, a vintage rhinestone earring!  Voila ... there you have an altered decanter!   If you have been thinking about trying Milk Paint, I say go for it!   I ended up painting a few glass items and each one turned out a bit different, the decanter is my favorite.




 Here's to a Happy New Year filled with plenty of fun crafting days!   Hugs & Blessings, Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to comment. xxxx