Thursday, November 6, 2014

Repurposed Vintage Spoon Shelf ... What Next?!!

Many years ago, my Mom gave me some beautiful hand crocheted hankies that my Grandmother made.  Through the years, I have also collected beautiful, lacy antique hankies.   Occasionally, I will use them to embellish my bears, but for the most part, I just keep them in a drawer - only to look at and admire and then back they go.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a post on Pinterest - someone had repurposed an old spoon shelf and they were using it to display their antique hankies.  It was a brilliant idea!   Since I've been going to the Goodwill at least once a week anyway in my quest for glass bottles, decanters and ornate picture frames to paint, I decided to add spoon shelves to my quest.  It paid off because yesterday I found a spoon shelf!  You can imagine my excitement .. and to top things off, it was "yellow tag day" which means anything with a yellow tag was half off.   I couldn't go wrong!   Even though the price of the shelf was only $1.49, I ended up spending several hours painting, waxing, sanding, and staining - time well spent, I think!  I used Louis Blue Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, light and dark Annie Sloan Wax, sanded lightly on all the corners and raised areas and finished by whitewashing with Gesso.  I love the outcome.

I hope you are not getting tired of my "Upcycling" and "Repurposing" posts as I am really enjoying making all these things and they are things I used to share with my Mom.  I know she would have loved this latest project.  I can almost hear her say "that's a wonderful way to display my Mother's handiwork"!  I also know I would have looked far and wide for another vintage Spoon Shelf for me because I would have given this one to her.  Wish you were here, Mom.  xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to comment. xxxx